Maintain Don’t Gain: Now is a Great Time to Start or Refresh Your Program
We’re excited to continue to help you maintain your current weight over the holidays, without having to totally give up all the things that make the holidays special to you. By now you probably fall into 1 of 4 camps:
- You embraced Maintain Don’t Gain and made a Holiday Action Plan.
- You made a mental note to maybe check it out later, but haven’t gotten back to it.
- You immediately rejected it on some grounds, such as “too difficult” or “bad timing.”
- You’re just hearing about it now.
No matter which camp you fall into, this week, the beginning of the second full week of December, is a great time to start if you haven’t yet, or refresh your commitments.
If You Haven’t Started Yet
1. Don’t Feel Discouraged
Don’t feel discouraged that we’re already days into December. Weight control is not an all-or-nothing endeavor, and what you do on any single day doesn’t make much of difference compared to what you might do over the span of 30 days.
2. Read the Guide
Read our guide to creating a Holiday Action Plan that can help you maintain your weight through this holiday season. Our guide gives you 6 achievable action tracks to choose from. If you’re in camp 3 above, where you rejected this the first time around: go ahead and read the guide if you haven’t. We think you might find one of the action tracks actually doable and not too much of a stretch.
3. Pick an Action Track
Pick an action track, and fill out your Holiday Action Plan.
If You’ve Already Started
1. Weigh In
Follow the weigh-in instructions for the week Dec. 8-14.
2. Write a Commitment
If you haven’t already filled in a specific commitment for Dec. 8-14, go ahead and do that now. Use what you learned from the first week to make specific commitments that you can stick to in your action track. If you need a refresher on what types of actions you can do on your action track, re-read the guide to creating a Holiday Action Plan.
- If you started, but didn’t keep your Dec. 1-7 commitments, don’t worry!!! Weight control is not an all-or-nothing endeavor. Read about picking yourself back up after a slip-up.
If You Need Motivation
- Check out last week’s post, which gives you 3 tips on making and keeping your plan, and includes a couple of short videos on the psychology of changing habits.
- If this campaign has brought up some feelings around your weight, your life, or your ability to control things or make changes, know that feeling is good, and your feelings are important. Check out this video on The Gift and Power of Emotional Courage.