Choosing Health Plans
ACERA offers a range of medical plan options to ACERA retirees, dependents, and survivors who are receiving a monthly retirement benefit from ACERA. The plans available, their coverage levels and costs, are subject to change from year-to-year. Members who qualify can receive a Monthly Medical Allowance to offset the costs of the medical plans.
Non-Medicare Medical Plans
ACERA offers the following Non-Medicare medical group plans to members who are not yet eligible for Medicare (generally, those under age 65):
- Kaiser Permanente HMO
- UnitedHealthcare SignatureValue HMO
- UnitedHealthcare SignatureValue Advantage HMO
- An individual plans through Via Benefits (formerly OneExchange) if you live outside of California or in non-metro-California
Medicare Medical Plans
We also offer the following Medicare plans to members who are eligible for Medicare (generally those over age 65 or with certain qualifying medical conditions):
- Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage (KPSA)
- An individual plan through Via Benefits (formerly OneExchange)
To enroll in an ACERA-sponsored Medicare plan, you must first sign up for and maintain enrollment in Medicare Parts A and B. Members who qualify can receive a Medicare Part B Reimbursement to offset the cost of being enrolled in Medicare Part B. See the Medicare and ACERA page for more information on how ACERA plans work with Medicare.
Dental and Vision Plans
ACERA’s dental and vision plans, offered through Delta Dental and Vision Service Plan (VSP) respectively, provide participants with access to coverage through a nationwide network of providers:
See the Dental and Vision section for more information.
How Much Does it Cost? What Does it Cover? How and When Can I Sign Up?
These questions are answered in detail in ACERA’s annual Retiree Enrollment Guide that is published each October. A PDF version of the guide is attached to this page.
Is there an alternative to medical coverage through ACERA?
Yes. ACERA has partnered with KeenanDirect to assist retirees in finding individual health insurance coverage. If you or a family member identify with one of these situations, KeenanDirect can assist you:
- You’re not eligible for ACERA’s Monthly Medical Allowance, and you want to look at more plan options besides the ones above.
- You have a family member or friend without access to employer-sponsored benefits.
- You are or know an individual age 26 who is no longer eligible under their parent’s health care plan.
KeenanDirect offers free enrollment assistance and expert guidance with access to major California carriers and health plans, Visit KeenanDirect or call 855-653-3626.